Fergus, the software that helps tradespeople stay on top of their business, is urging all trades to prioritise work/life balance in an effort to address the alarming rise in suicide rates and depression related to work issues in the industry.
According to recent statistics, construction workers are at a significant risk of suicide, with rates 3.7 times higher than the national average. Additionally, the UK construction industry sees a higher rate of depression and anxiety compared to other sectors. It is time for the industry to take action and prioritise the mental wellbeing of its workers.
Whether you are an electrician, builder, or plumbing and heating engineer, working in construction is a rewarding and important profession; it also comes with its own set of challenges. Tight deadlines, long hours, and intense physical labour can take a toll on your mental and physical health and it’s important not to let work take over your life. Work/life balance is critical to maintaining good mental health, and it’s vital for the construction industry to acknowledge this and take action.
“It is essential that workers take action to prioritise work/life balance,” says Dan Pollard, founder of Fergus Software. “We’ve seen a worrying trend in rising suicide rates and depression related to work issues in our industry, and we can’t afford to ignore this any longer. It’s time for construction companies to take a proactive approach to improving the mental wellbeing of their workers.”
Fergus Software recommends several steps that construction companies can take to address the issue of work/life balance and mental health. These include:
- Foster open communication: Encourage employees to talk about any issues they may be facing and provide support through employee assistance programmes or counselling services.
- Provide flexible working hours: Offering flexible working hours or work-from-home options can help employees manage their workloads and personal responsibilities.
- Prioritise rest and relaxation: Encourage employees to take breaks: don’t email or contact employees unless it is absolutely essential that you do.
- Promote physical health: Encourage healthy habits such as regular exercise and a balanced diet to help employees manage stress and maintain good mental health.
- Educate employees: Provide training and education on mental health issues and how to manage stress in the workplace.
“If you are a business owner, stress levels can be ramped up with the pressure of running a business, such as making payroll, invoicing and ensuring cashflow is healthy,” says Dan. “There is a solution; by implementing job management software you can streamline workflows, automate administrative tasks, and simplify communication, allowing trades business owners to focus on improving work/life balance and promoting mental wellbeing – just by giving you more time to do the things you love doing.”
Fergus offers features such as scheduling, quoting, invoicing and real-time tracking of jobs and employees. By automating these processes, construction companies can reduce the time and effort required for administrative tasks, allowing workers to spend more time on-site and less time on paperwork. Additionally, Fergus provides a platform for streamlined communication between managers, workers, and clients, reducing the need for phone calls and emails and providing transparency across all levels of the company.
For more details and to book a demo, click here