University Professor Electrocuted by Faulty Boiler

University Professor Electrocuted by Faulty Boiler

John Alliston, 70, of the Royal Agricultural University of Cirencester, was electrocuted by a faulty boiler after touching a live copper wire in his garden in 2017.

Electrical Safety First was instrumental in getting the government to agree to legislation on mandatory electrical safety checks in the private rented sector.

However, there is concern that, with no timeline laid out for the legislation to become a reality, more tragedies like the death of Professor Alliston could occur.

A jury concluded the death was accidental, and he was electrocuted due to the absence of Residual Current Protection, whilst the property had not had an electrical safety check.

Phil Buckle, Chief Executive of Electrical Safety First, commented: “The Government’s decision to commit to introducing mandatory electrical safety checks in the private rented sector – after years of campaigning by Electrical Safety First – was a welcome step in improving the safety of private tenants in England.

“The recent, tragic death of Professor Alliston, who died of electrocution in the garden of his rented property, illustrates the importance of this essential safety requirement.

“Electrical Safety First is extremely concerned that the Government has not yet provided a timescale to implement these checks, particularly since it announced its intention of doing so last year.”

He continued: “It is essential that the Government provides clarity in relation to electrical inspections in the private rented sector, both in terms of timeline and how these inspections will be enforced.

“We also want to emphasise the importance of ensuring that the enforcement body is funded sufficiently to undertake its work effectively, as well as the importance of using a competent, qualified and registered electrician to undertake such checks.”

For electrical safety advice, visit:

Related posts