Nest, architect of the thoughtful home, brings the 3rd generation Nest Learning Thermostat to the UK, France, Netherlands, Belgium and Republic of Ireland.
In addition to its new design, the 3rd generation Nest Thermostat offers improved boiler support that now delivers remote hot water control and advanced compatibility with OpenTherm heating systems. New design features include a slimmer profile, a high-resolution screen that’s 40% larger and an updated user interface that makes it easier to read temperatures, alerts and messages. And Farsight, a new software feature, automatically displays the target temperature or time when movement is sensed across the room.
“Millions of Nest homes around the world have saved approximately four billion kilowatt hours of energy compared to what they would have used if they’d left their thermostats at a consistent temperature,” said Lionel Paillet, General Manager of Europe for Nest. “And today, with brand new software and hardware, our European customers can save even more whilst staying comfortable, thanks to remote hot water control and OpenTherm compatibility.
“The 3rd generation Nest Thermostat learns the temperature you like, then programs itself. It knows how long it takes to heat your home so you’re comfortable when you get there.”
“We are continuing to expand our presence in Europe – the 3rd generation Nest Thermostat will be available through thousands of retail locations, professional distributors and directly through Nest Pro installers, and at a discount or at no cost at all through energy partners.”
The 3rd generation Nest Thermostat learns the temperature you like, then programs itself. It knows how long it takes to heat your home so you’re comfortable when you get there. When you leave, it automatically turns down your boiler and hot water tank so you save energy.
- Hot water (exclusive to Europe) – The Nest Thermostat can now control your hot water tank, in addition to central heating. You can adjust the hot water schedule from your phone or thermostat, boost from anywhere, and Auto-Away works with your hot water tank to help save energy when no one’s home (after two days).
- Advanced modulation with OpenTherm (exclusive to Europe) – Nest now uses OpenTherm to enable two-way communication between compatible boilers and the 3rd generation thermostat to work out the precise amount of gas to burn to reach or maintain the requested temperature, rather than simply turn the boiler on or off, helping to save energy, increase comfort and prolonging the life of your heating system.
- Sleek new design – It has a 40% larger, brighter, high-resolution screen and new graphics so you can see it easier from far away. The crisp screen has 229 pixels per inch (ppi), 25% more than the current generation Nest Thermostat. The 3rd generation thermostat also has a slightly thinner profile so it can sit flush against the wall.
- Farsight – Previously, you had to be pretty close to get the thermostat to wake up and turn on the display. Farsight takes advantage of the new high-resolution screen so that you can see useful information on the thermostat from across the room. You can set it to display target temperature, an analog clock or digital clock, or turn Farsight off.
We’ve also created a brand new stand for the Nest Thermostat. This was designed for homes that don’t already have a thermostat, or where the old one was in a room where the temperature wasn’t regulated, so it can be put in the best place to sense the temperature and activity in your home.
Just like the current generation, the 3rd generation Nest Thermostat will also include the following integrations with Nest Protect and Nest Cam:
- When Nest Protect sounds a Heads-Up or Emergency Alarm for smoke or carbon monoxide (CO), you’ll see a message on the thermostat display to help you know what’s going on in addition to a Nest app notification. The thermostat can automatically stop your gas or oil boiler from heating your home – the most common source of CO in the home.
- Nest Protect enhances the Nest Thermostat’s Auto-Away feature by improving Nest’s knowledge of when you’re home or away.
- You can set your Nest Cam to turn on automatically when you switch your Nest Thermostat into Home or Away mode.
In addition, the 3rd generation Nest Thermostat speaks with other connected products in the home from household brands including Philips Hue, Osram, Bosch, Logitech and LG, to work together, learn from one another and help you out – all on their own – helping the home to be safer, more secure, or help save money.